Find Houses for Rent in Martinez, CA
Steeped in history, Martinez is an excellent community for families. Near the intersection of Interstate 680 and Route 4, homes for rent in Martinez are near the bay. Berkeley, Oakland, San Francisco and many other populous and culturally important cities are just down the street from Martinez. But you don't have to leave town for great culture. Martinez features a number of historical areas, beautiful parks and local businesses.
Fun Facts for Future Renters
- The city is named for Don Ygnacio Martinez, who received tens of thousands of acres of land from the Mexican government in 1824. It was officially named Martinez in 1849 and incorporated in 1876. It was a booming town both during the Gold Rush and as a shipping area thereafter.
- The martini is named for Martinez, because the cocktail was said to have been invented in the area during the Gold Rush.
- Famed Yankees baseball player Joe DiMaggio was born in Martinez in 1915.
- Martinez is one of the oldest modern cities in California and has been a major shipping port for more than 150 years.
Helpful Resources for Residents
- The Martinez News-Gazette has been providing this Bay Area community with local news since 1858. Now, in addition to the paper copies available throughout town, residents can check the online version of California's first newspaper for breaking news and the latest on the community.
- The Martinez Unified School District operates the schools in the city. In addition to four elementary schools and two high schools, the MUSD also runs adult education and a continuing education school.
- The city's website is an excellent asset for any town resident. With electronic notifications, online bill paying and a community events calendar, Martinez's website gives citizens a high-tech tool to interact with the city.